Welcome to a new Friday feature, where I round-up all the awesome tips I get in my inbox, but don’t have a chance to write full posts about.
Consider it a work-in-progress (I still need a name for it–ideas? let me know!). If anything in here strikes your fancy, and you’d like me to write more about it, post in the comments. Tips with highest number of “votes” will get a full write up!
- Actress Erin Cummings has an image of her dressed in a headdress as her Twitter background, and when contacted about it, said the CBS producers liked it and approved it.
- The Little Marc Jacobs Store in Manhattan uses a Tipi in its window display
- Taylor Lautner, aka Jacob Black in the Twilight movies, comes to the shocking realization that Natives are just like everyone else! They hang out! They play basketball! Shocking!!
- N.E.R.D. and Nelly Furtado’s new video “Hot and Fun” has a bazillion headdresses and Native appropriations
- Broadway Bares (an annual fundraiser featuring broadway actors and dancers performing stripteases) featured an “Indian” baring all.
- Cage the Elephant has a new-ish music video featuring a headdress-clad dude for their song “In One Ear”, and even an online contest to “win the headdress”.
- Band “The Canon Logic” utilizes warpaint and a headdress in their new album art and advertising.
- Zimbio has an image of Izia (a model) and fashion designer Jean-Charles de Castelbajac at the launch of the new clothing line in Paris, France. Izia is wearing a full warbonnet and feathered dress.
- Shrinky Dinks (yes they’re still around) is selling a “Wild West Party Pack“–i.e. Cowboys and Indians. Interestingly, the Indians have a range of skin tones, and are shown doing the “modern” activities, but also are all wearing feathers and doing stereotypical activities as well (peace pipes, tom toms, canoeing, etc)
- Bossip shares a “Wild West” inspired photo shoot for the release of Playstation 3, which consists of a barely clothed model in a headdress (probs NSFW). What does that have to do with Playstation?
- My friend Katie at Whiskey Tango Foxtrot put together a catch-all post on cultural appropriation in fashion. Great stuff.
I have more, but I thought this was a good start! Keep the tips coming, and thanks to everyone who contributed.